Tonight we will be celebrating the Mid Autumn Festival. This festival is held on the 15th day of the 8th month based on the lunar calendar.
The traditions of the Mid Autumn Festivals are
- Eating mooncakes outside under the moon
- Putting pomelo rinds on one’s head
- Carrying brightly lit lanterns, lighting lanterns on towers, floating sky lanterns
- Burning incense in reverence to deities including Chang’e
- Planting Mid-Autumn trees
- Collecting dandelion leaves and distributing them evenly among family members
- Fire Dragon Dances
As our family is not Buddist and do not really follow all of the traditions we have simplify it to one or two traditions which the whole family can enjoy. We bought Thomas the train and Doremon lanterns for the boys to carry around. They really enjoy their lanterns more then savouring the mooncakes which we bought for them.